Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Deep Sea 2009 Red Blend, Central Coast


This red blend was shared with our good friends during our trip to the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament in Cincinnati. I had brought a few bottles with me for Cincy as well as our next destination, a cabin getaway in Tennessee.
When I mentioned which bottles I had, the Cabinator quickly demanded that we pop open the Deep Sea. This is a delicious and dependable wine that I picked up for a song at Churchill’s in Perrysburg.
The 2009 vintage of Deep Sea Red is 89.4% Syrah, 4.8% Lagrein, 2.6% Petite Syrah and a mere 1.6% Merlot. To my knowledge, I haven’t had any wine with Lagrein in it before. It is an Italian grape from the Trentino-Alto Adige region that is made into deep rich reds.
Like the wispy image on the label, this wine has multiple layers. This wine has body, but not the briary spikes, of some Syrah. It is rich and soft with a trace of oak. It is dominated by red fruit flavors of raspberry and cherry.
We had a long day at the Lindner Family Tennis Center, watching several matches prior to seeing Roger Federer put away Gael Monfils with his trademark Swiss precision. At just the right time, Deep Sea Red delivered a winner with all the elegance of a sweeping Federer backhand.
Game. Set. Match!

No comments: