Friday, October 31, 2014

Moon Mountain 2006 Estate Cabernet Franc, Sonoma Valley

This bottle is the end of my online score of Moon Mountain wines. The wines were on sale and I bought five of them.
Aroma of wet leaves was prominent on the nose. The tannins were soft on the front end, but the finish prompted a pucker.
The flavor of the wine has grown complex. Flavors of blackberry and violet come forth mixed with a taste of pencil shavings. For me the finish had a chalkiness.
Notably absent for me was the green pepper flavor which, in small doses, can be great. In larger concentration, it signals a young or badly made Cabernet Franc.
Will I see wines from Moon Mountain again? Probably not likely. The vineyard has been acquired by a large wine producer. They have been eclipsed. Speaking of which, here is my photo of the recent lunar eclipse. If I have to get up at 6:00 in the morning with my camera equipment, I’m darn sure going to use the photo somewhere!
Rating: 2.5 of 5  Value: 3 of 5 (based on $15 online purchase)

No comments: