Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Amavi Cellars 2011 Syrah, Walla Walla Valley


I’ve just returned from the Taste Washington event in Seattle. In the next week or so I’ll share some of the favorite wines I enjoyed there. For now, though, I want to share a Washington wine experience closer to home.
Amavi Cellars is a winery that typifies the value and excellence I’ve come to expect from the northwest corner of our country. Back in 2010 I took a wonderful bus tour from Seattle that ended up in Walla Walla for the Wine Bloggers Conference. Along the way we visited such destinations as Yakima Valley, the Columbia Gorge and Woodinvile.
One of my best experiences was a wine tasting at Les Collines Vineyard, or should I say “in” the vineyard. Les Collines is a premier vineyard that supplies wines for some of the great Washington State wineries. We tasted through some outstanding Amavi (pronounced AHM-a-vee) wines and I’ve been a fan ever since.
Our troupe of tasters encountered this 2011Amavi Walla Walla Valley Syrah at Veritas Cork & Craft wine bar in downtown Toledo. After a visit to the Glass City Wine Festival, we decided we needed a knockout wine while we waited for our dinner reservation at Registry Bistro.
This Syrah is deep, dark and mysterious. It is 100% Syrah and 47% of grapes come from Les Collines Vineyard. It is a succulent wine with bountiful blueberry and blackberry flavor notes. There is a hint of smokiness and a robust, fruit-laden finish.
At about $25 this is an outstanding buy. It elevates your evening and is a great choice to share with friends.
Rating: 4 of 5  Value: 4 of 5

No comments: