Friday, June 26, 2015

Saint Cosme 2014 Little James’ Basket Press, Pays d’Oc


While strolling through Churchill’s wine department I happened upon an unusual white with a quirky label. Little James’ Basket Press, it proclaimed. For only $10.99, I popped it in my bag for some casual sipping.
Part of the appeal was the unusual label. I’m immune to the “cute animal” labels, but this one had a little imp, Little James I assume, prancing around conducting an orchestra (in the vineyard), taking a bath in a wine barrel and stomping grapes. The combination of grapes is also eccentric: a blend of Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc.
The wine is unoaked, so it retains a refreshing character. The blend is heavier on the Viognier, which takes the edge off the Sauvignon Blanc’s acidity and creates a more fragrant and luscious wine. Like Little James, it is fun and playful and also immediately satisfying.
This is the first time I’ve tasted a Sauvignon Blanc-Viognier blend, but this French country wine sold me on its merits. At this price, Little James could be a frequent visitor to the patio this summer.
Rating: 3 of 5  Value: 4 of 5
Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: